Summer is almost here! Is your outdoor space ready?
Here, on the east coast we only have a few months to really enjoy the outdoor space. And if you want to be ready for the summer, you better get to work soon.
I approach every outdoor project with the same mentality, as i approach all my indoor projects. The goal is to create a comfortable and stylish outdoor living space that you and your family won’t want to leave.
Here are a few of my favorite tips to spruce up you outdoor space
to make it a beautiful and enjoyable during summer months:
1. Clean out your backyard after winter. Declutter and discard any unwanted items. Create a blank canvas for new design. Take a look around to see what needs maintenance or repair.
2. Schedule all your summer services. Make sure you get your appointments in order for a spring clean up, pool opening and lawn fertilization. Landscaping professionals are really busy during this time of the year and you want to get on their schedule as early as possible.
3. Review your inventory for furniture, lighting, outdoor rugs. April is the best month to shop for all you outdoor needs. This way you can have everything ready and delivered on time for your summer opening party.
4. Consider Planting. A well-maintained garden will make your backyard even more appealing. Keep in mind that plants need food to grow. You can feed them with different types of fertilizers to help your garden blossom. Make sure that you consult a gardening expert to know what’s best for planting. One of my favorite places to shop are Dearborn market and Delicious Orchards. You can find many beautiful plants and flowers there. Hydrangeas are my favorite.
5. Bring the indoors out.
Create different zones through out your yard, Identify each space where you would want to entertain, dine and relax. Start with a regular floor plan, to avoid mistake and wrong size purchases. Once you know exactly what you need, create an outdoor living area with a comfortable seating and an outdoor rug. Add puffs and small ottomans through out for extra seating.
6. Add Color. Make sure you have a color scheme thats cohesive through out the space. I usually like to have at neutral color for upholstery and bring lots of color in area rug and pillows. Towels is another great way to add an accent color through out. When selecting textiles, select all stain & sun resistant products.
7. If space allows, add pergola and dress it up with beautiful sheers and hanging lights. At the end its all about the ambience. Your home has a unique feel — bring that same feel to your outdoor space, too. Hang string lights on your covered porch. Or if you can, hang a statement light fixture outside.
8. Don’t forget your front door. There i nothing more inviting then seeing a beautiful planted flowers on your porch or by the front door. A group of flowering plants draws the eye toward an entry — and can also increase a curb appeal. You can do this by adding pots filled with flowering annuals or creating a bed filled with blooming plants in the front yard or on your windows.
I hope you like my decorating tips and here is my outdoor space before and after.
Photo credit to Victoria Alcock photography.
These are beautiful examples of outdoor spaces. I love how easy your step make it to create one of my own.
Thank you Sarah! I am glad you liked it!
These are great tips and such beautiful pictures!! Thanks for sharing.
Thank you Sherine!
Wonderful tips and beautiful photography! Love summer!
Thank you Sari! I am glad you liked it!
Terri Davis says
Love all these ideas!
Great ideas for summer. Thank you
Wonderful tips and beautiful photography!
Love all these ideas! goog nice dekor
Alexandria Martinez says
My fiance and I just moved into a new home and we want to decorate our garden with some decor we found for sale. We liked your advice to look for pieces that add color. This is something that we would like to add to our home as well.
i am so happy you find it useful. thank you
teras kapama says
Ideal ideal explanations for the use of terrace areas
Nice Article. I always think that the Interior designers and decorators are same but after reading your article i got the difference.
Thanks for sharing this important article with us.
Thank you for your feedback.
Siteler Mobilya says
making the right choices about furniture has always revealed more attractive aspects of the environment.
Choice Furniture Superstore says
I just love these ideas of outdoor decoration for summer. These pictures are very refreshing.
Simran Ahuja says
Wow!! All of the tips are perfect. Nowadays its trending to create outdoor inline with the indoors. We also have done same this year. Thanks for sharing.
Ashley Johnson says
I thought that it was interesting when you said that one thing to consider when designing your home and outdoor space is to bring in comfort and style at the same time. I have been trying to design my home to appear modern but I have been struggling to still ensure comfort. I will be sure to hire a professional to help find pieces that will compliment each other so that I can have a beautiful and cozy home.
Thanks for sharing these amazing ideas. Installing outdoor lights is also very important as it not only enhances the beauty of your space but also ensure the security of your property.
Ron Booker says
I like that you said that flowers and plants draw attention toward an entry or a house. One of my friends is having a party and he said he wants to have everything decorated. Thank you for sharing this awesome trick with us, I’m going to take it into consideration.
Ellie Davis says
I liked that you mentioned cleaning your backyard after every winter will help you to declutter and discard unwanted items. My husband and I are thinking about remodeling our backyard, and we are looking for advice. I will let him know about the benefits of cleaning our backyard regularly to keep it looking good.
It’s actually an incredible blog, an abundance of thanks for imparting to us. I simply love this blog which have incredible data about modern interior design. Many many thanks for sharing your valuable thoughts with us.
Reena Bansal says
love gardening…this blog is very helpful post…I have a small garden, I surely try your 10 number point, create unity and diversity . Many many thanks for 7 number point.
Zoe Campos says
Thank you for giving me the idea to add a pergola and some lights to my outdoor living space to create an area for my potential guests and family members. We really have a huge front yard and I’m thinking of converting it into something more aesthetically pleasing and functional for everyone. It might also be a good idea to hire experts in landscaping services and use a part of the available land for a good -looking landscape.
Lovely outdoor summer decorating ideas! Its really an impressive post
Eli Richardson says
It’s great that you talked about hanging lights and how they add stylish touches to a patio. Recently, my wife and I decided we’d like to renovate our home’s outdoor space. We want to install a patio and buy new furniture, so we’ll be sure to check your tips before we go shopping. Thanks for the advice on how to decorate an outdoor area and make the most out of it.