Summer is almost here! Is your outdoor space ready?
Here, on the east coast we only have a few months to really enjoy the outdoor space. And if you want to be ready for the summer, you better get to work soon.
I approach every outdoor project with the same mentality, as i approach all my indoor projects. The goal is to create a comfortable and stylish outdoor living space that you and your family won’t want to leave.
Here are a few of my favorite tips to spruce up you outdoor space
to make it a beautiful and enjoyable during summer months:
1. Clean out your backyard after winter. Declutter and discard any unwanted items. Create a blank canvas for new design. Take a look around to see what needs maintenance or repair.
2. Schedule all your summer services. Make sure you get your appointments in order for a spring clean up, pool opening and lawn fertilization. Landscaping professionals are really busy during this time of the year and you want to get on their schedule as early as possible.
3. Review your inventory for furniture, lighting, outdoor rugs. April is the best month to shop for all you outdoor needs. This way you can have everything ready and delivered on time for your summer opening party.
4. Consider Planting. A well-maintained garden will make your backyard even more appealing. Keep in mind that plants need food to grow. You can feed them with different types of fertilizers to help your garden blossom. Make sure that you consult a gardening expert to know what’s best for planting. One of my favorite places to shop are Dearborn market and Delicious Orchards. You can find many beautiful plants and flowers there. Hydrangeas are my favorite.
5. Bring the indoors out.
Create different zones through out your yard, Identify each space where you would want to entertain, dine and relax. Start with a regular floor plan, to avoid mistake and wrong size purchases. Once you know exactly what you need, create an outdoor living area with a comfortable seating and an outdoor rug. Add puffs and small ottomans through out for extra seating.
6. Add Color. Make sure you have a color scheme thats cohesive through out the space. I usually like to have at neutral color for upholstery and bring lots of color in area rug and pillows. Towels is another great way to add an accent color through out. When selecting textiles, select all stain & sun resistant products.
7. If space allows, add pergola and dress it up with beautiful sheers and hanging lights. At the end its all about the ambience. Your home has a unique feel — bring that same feel to your outdoor space, too. Hang string lights on your covered porch. Or if you can, hang a statement light fixture outside.
8. Don’t forget your front door. There i nothing more inviting then seeing a beautiful planted flowers on your porch or by the front door. A group of flowering plants draws the eye toward an entry — and can also increase a curb appeal. You can do this by adding pots filled with flowering annuals or creating a bed filled with blooming plants in the front yard or on your windows.
I hope you like my decorating tips and here is my outdoor space before and after.
Photo credit to Victoria Alcock photography.